Friday, March 25, 2011

Fellow Moroni Witness Account

Words and photos from Emily Burneson, member of the Platte City Stake, Platte City, Missouri...

"I woke the boys at 6:30 am this morning.  They slowly and reluctantly poured out of bed, wondering why I would insist that they get up and dressed so early.  "Today is the day we get our angel!", I proclaimed.  Daniel jumped out of bed and hurried to get dressed.  Darren heard the noise and was ready to join the action.  Dallin took his time."

"We were off just after 7am, headed for the Kansas City LDS Temple site.  Today they would place the statue of the angel Moroni on top of the East spire.  By 7:30 am I was parked at a little alcove on the East side of the temple.  Accompanied by both close and new friends, we watched the green tarp come off the statue."

"We had at least an hour in the van with little or no action around Moroni.  I decided we'd make the most of this time together and pull out our scriptures.  We recently finished the Doctrine and Covenants and began reading the Pearl of Great Price at Daniel's request.  This morning as we awaited the rising of an angel, we poured over the second chapter of Moses.  What a fantastic thing to read at the temple!  This was the story of the creation of Earth and the heaven around it.  The boys seemed more interested than usual as we spoke of the lights in the firmament, the beasts, and the fouls.  We found ourselves really studying the verses, not just reading them. It was a gigantically spiritual experience.  I am thankful that they were reverent enough to allow that all to happen."

"The sides of the crate were soon lowered.  It was at this point that we took a stroll to get a closer look of that beautiful statue."



"The statue stood still on it's side until 25 minutes after 10 am when the beautiful golden image of Moroni was lifted vertically into it's place atop the Eastern spire.  It was a cloudy day with a cold breeze. The slightest bit of sunlight peeked through as the statue was lifted, lighting it just enough to make it really stand out from the gloomy backdrop.  I was surprised how perfectly shiny and golden it was.  It was such a brilliant thing to behold."






"Watching it rise was a more powerful experience than I expected.  I kept reminding my boys that this was history in the making.  I reminded each of them what age they were the day Moroni topped the Kansas City Temple.  I think I will keep reminding them so that they'll always have this special experience in their minds.  My video recording is shaky thanks to the wind, the zoom, and the little one on my hip who was really done being cold. Yet, I did manage to get some pretty great stills of the event. There was a good-sized crowd in attendance and a joyous roar was heard among them as the statue met its final place atop the spire.  I'm so glad to have been a part of it."


"My love for this temple runs far and deep.  I have a passion for the temple because of the sacred ordinances that are performed therein.  I am grateful for the blessings of the temple that seal my family to me for eternity.  This temple makes my heart especially full as I think of the opportunity that the open house will bring. As Mormon temples are closed to the public after dedication, many dear friends and family members have never set food inside such a beautiful house of the Lord.  When a new temple is built, an Open House welcomes the public to tour the building and learn about what takes place within these walls.  My children who are not yet old enough to participate in temple ordinances will be able to enter the Kansas City Temple for the open house.  We will be able to show them first hand the kind of altar we kneel at, the dual mirrors that offer the image of eternity, and the Celestial room which offers an atmosphere of heaven.  I can't wait to share it!"

"I am pleased to learn that construction is ahead of schedule and that the temple may be completed as early as the end of the year.  The day will not come soon enough."

Thank you Emily for sharing your experience of the great occasion of the lifting of Moroni with us!

Temple Chasing blesses us all!
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails