Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Temple for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Announced

On Saturday Oct. 4th at approx. 11:20 am, I heard the prophet as he announced 5 new temples to be built. As he read through the list I held my breath, almost knowing what he would say...a temple to be built in the "Greater Kansas City area". I erupted. I screamed for my family and I've been shaking ever since.
http://http//newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/church-continues-temple-building-throughout-the-world
Like many people in this area, I felt like my prayers have been answered. I have since felt a deep desire to be involved and have been praying that I might know what I could do show how grateful I am and how I could involve others. Yesterday we read on the church website, where the temple is to be built.
Without giving specifics, the area known as Shoal Creek is a development about 3-5 miles east of my home.
"For the temple serving the greater Kansas City area, the site will be in Clay County, Missouri, on residential land within the Kansas City limits that is already being developed by the Church. The development is known as Shoal Creek."

As for now, we do not know the exact location and we will continue to wait patiently to see where it will be built and what it will look like. In no way, am I claiming to know the exact location yet and I will eagerly wait to know.

I decided to create this blog as a way for me to track, watch and share the progress of the temple. Since the announcement just a few days ago, it has become apparent that I would use the up the available memory of my personal blog rapidly and I came to the idea that my temple posts deserved their own forum.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This blog in no way is affiliated with the Church itself and I do not claim to be an official spokesperson for the Church either. I am not a president nor am I the boss...applesauce. I am a lowly early morning seminary teacher who is just passionate, enthusiastic and grateful that we will soon have a temple so close to home and want to share this experience for my own historical purposes as well as with my friends, family and anyone who else is interested. I needed an outlet for this overwhelming feeling and desire to be involved in the process of documenting the progress of this temple being built. I am by no means a computer genius, nor do I profess to know all about the world of blogging. I can assure you that I will make mistakes and begin apologizing now for my grammar and spelling. I am by no means, a literary genius. I'm sure there are many who are more qualified and could certainly do more justice to the journey I'm about to take. I will update as frequently as possible and will undoubtedly make changes to this blog as I learn more and progress with my mad blogging skills. My ultimate dream would be to assist in decorating the interior of a temple. I will be satisfied with being able to take my amateur photos and post them for my future posterity. Please feel free to leave comments. I realize this may open myself up for hostilities and will adjust the security of the blog as I feel needed.

I have always been drawn to the Shoal Creek area and frequently take drives there during the day to be inspired by great architecture and scenery. Since yesterday, I've been there twice and have taken many photos of portions of the development and it's surrounding areas. I've also researched online and found many useful maps and articles that will assist others in becoming familiar with this soon to be busy, busy area.
What I can tell you, is what I know. The Shoal Creek Valley Development is beautiful and currently under construction in many areas. It is everything you would imagine a location of a temple to be. There are some residential subdivisions with beautiful homes, there is convenient shopping and yet still wide open spaces. Much of the land is covered in large bales of hay or grazing cattle.

There is even in fact, a hill where from the top you can see the skyline of downtown Kansas City as well as the far surrounding areas, including the RLDS or Community of Christ temple in Independence. It is truly a breathtaking view and unique to Kansas City where there aren't many high vistas from which to see far around. In this area of the world, we have people who actually monitor storms and tornadoes. They are called "storm chasers". I have dubbed myself a "temple chaser".

2 comments:

Topher said...

Great idea! Found your blog searching for details. We're so excited about the temple (although we'd hoped in a small way it would be in our stake (Lenexa)). 30 minutes is much closer to home than 4 hours. Thanks for the pictures. Our friends live in the Shoal Creek ward & the Shoal Creek area and it IS very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Thanks
While listening to conference I thought it was interesting that the Rome temple received a much louder gasp compared to the greater Kansas City Area Temple.
Cresley

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails