Sunday, December 7, 2008

In Preparation

Being that our ward boundaries are within a couple of miles of the temple lot, anytime I hear a talk given in Sacrament or Stake Conference, I am particularily drawn to speakers who share information or talks regarding temples. And because of that, I specifically went to the adult session of Stake Conference last night in Platte City in hopes that I would be edified and strengthened in my testimony of temples. I was not discouraged. Bro. Rand Smith of the High Council gave an excellent talk on Preparing to Attend the Temple. I hope he won't mind me sharing some of the points that really touched me and reaffirmed my belief that we need to be prepared for our new temple.
He listed 5 things we need to be doing to prepare.
1. Prepare Spiritually.
2. Prepare by being clean. Begin meeting with ecclesiastical leaders now to prepare to attend the temple. Be worthy to receive a recommend and apply the repentance process in our lives.
3. Prepare Physically. Carefully plan time for temple service. Also, we need to prepare physically in our dress. We should attend our interviews with priesthood holders, properly dressed.
4. Prepare mentally. We should fast and prepare to ponder and pray in the temple that we might be aware of symbolism and instruction the Savior gives.
5. Prepare for opposition. This may increase as the temple progresses in it's building. This point was intriguing to me as I have recently been called as the ward Public Affairs representative. How scary for me! Me...who may be called upon at some point to defend what I know to be true. It's overwhelming to me and yet I feel comfort that my Father in Heaven knows me and loves me. If we/I prepare and do all these things...he will help us/me know what to say when the time comes.
"Let's begin now to prepare diligently to maximize our temple service." Rand Smith
I still feel the electrical bolt shoot through me every time I think of or hear of the temple here. I feel more than ever....now is the time to Prepare.

2 comments:

Snarky Belle said...

Cheryl, I did not know about your calling! You are the perfect person for that work!! Oh my goodness, I am so excited for you. Congratulations! You are really a fantastic fit for that responsibility!

Danyelle Ferguson said...

These are excellent suggestions and ideas to be worthy to go to the temple and to help us gain as much as we can from each trip to the temple. Thank you for sharing them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails